Friday, September 25, 2015

Observe the New York Philharmonic Orchestra


For this assignment I was tasked to watch and observe the NY Philharmonic Orchestra, and record my observations based on some questions given to me. Here is the video I'm currently watching for my assignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxowOVIdnR0

Some instruments I've noticed, or heard, is the Cello, Violin, Piano, possibly trumpet or trombone, but I couldn't really recognize them well.
The musicians on stage are arranged in a half circle shape, possibly to be able to see the conductor.
They, for the most part seem to be sitting in a professional manner. Some don't seem to be sitting up completely straight.
I see that the Conductor is standing. I believe this is important because he shows and orders them when to play, and when not to play.
The musicians, when they perform seem to look at the conductor when they need to and the sheet music so they don't mess up and are on track.
They all do take turns when they perform, they don't all play at the same time.
While they aren't playing, they are either watching who is performing if it's a solo, or at the conductor so they know when to play, i believe.
During the performance, the audience is watching and paying attention to the performers, they are also respectful and quiet.
When the performance ends, everyone, including the musicians clap at the end.

I believe, that the most unexpected thing might have been seeing the performers clap with the audience. We can strive for this professionalism by being silent, respectful, and by paying attention to the teacher and others.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome work here, Tiffany! You made some great observations and your writing is really clear! You don't need to capitalize cello, violin, piano, or conductor. You only need to capitalize brand names like Pepsi or people's names like Tiffany. 10/10

    ReplyDelete